Our network

Evacuated Families Look for Stability in Uncertain Situation

LAS VEGAS -- It has been about five days since most residents on both sides of Mt. Charleston left their homes. For many, it feels like a lot longer.

Now, several families are turning to emergency shelters for information, food and even money, trying to find stability in a very uncertain situation.

"There is, like, nobody on the mountain and the fire was very close and you could see smoke and ash in the air," 9-year-old Lee Canyon resident Martina Bernhardt said.

"I wish we could just go back up there, but the smoke is too bad. We can't head back up," 11-year-old Logan Bernhardt said.

Martina and Logan Bernhardt's mom Jaeana says friends are helping them make the most of a bad situation.

"We are staying with friends. We've been lucky enough to be offered housing for as long as we need it," Bernhardt said.

Acts of Kindness: The Gardner Family

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. - In many ways, Cashel Gardner is a typical 16-year-old. He loves video games and cool Las Vegas magic tricks performed by illusionist Cris Angel.

"Cashel's already started to think about the things he wants to do as an adult," said Cashel's mother Sandy Gardner. "He's close to graduating."

That is pretty amazing, considering doctors told Sandy her little baby boy would not live past his second birthday.

"I am pretty hard-headed. When doctors told me the diagnosis, I told (them) that's not going to happen," she said.

Cashel was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). He has limited use of his fingers, but the rest of his body is paralyzed. He can't breathe, swallow or eat on his own.

"I had a baby who was happy. He couldn't move, but he still wanted to play," Sandy said.

One Dead in Double Shooting at Mobile Home Park

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police are investigating a double shooting at a mobile home park in the 3600 block of North Las Vegas Boulevard that has left one man dead.

Police responded to the home in Van's Trailer Oasis around 10:30 a.m. A woman with non life-threatening injuries was transported to University Medical Center. The male victim died, police said.

Police are looking for a 2007 Saturn Vue with a handicapped license plate with the number 96679. The suspect is described as a light-skinned black man with a medium build and between 5-foot-10 to 6-foot tall.

Anyone with information is asked to call Metro Police at 828-3531.

 

North Las Vegas Home Destroyed by Fire

NORTH LAS VEGAS -- A single-story home was destroyed by a fire Monday evening.

According to Captain Williams of the North Las Vegas Fire Department, the fire started shortly after 8:00 p.m. on the 3000 block of Sutters Fort Street.

According to the man living in the home, he was sleeping when he heard a loud noise. When the man went to check on the noise, he saw a fire coming from the attic area.

When the NLVFD arrived on scene, they saw a significantly large fire coming from the attic area.

Firefighters had the fire out within 20 minutes upon arrival.

No one was injured in the fire.

The fire damage is estimated at $277,000 and remains under investigation.

The American Red Cross is assisting and will ensure the two residents will have a safe place to stay.

Crash Closes Intersection of Cheyenne and Rancho

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police are investigating a crash where a car has hit a light pole, sending it into a busy intersection.

According to police, the car crashed into the pole around 3:15 p.m. Monday at the intersection of Cheyenne Avenue and Rancho Drive.

No one was hurt, but several vehicles were involved as drivers tried to get out of the way of the falling pole.

The intersection is closed while crews clear the pole and wires from the roadway.

Missing 10-Year-Old Found Safe

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Police in North Las Vegas say they've located the 10-year-old boy who had been missing since Wednesday.

They say Kyree Hall is in the process of being reunited with his family.

I-Team: Nellis Airmen Facing Sexual Assault Charges

Robert Stone sitting on Saddam Hussein's throne during a deployment to Iraq.

LAS VEGAS -- For the first time in years, Nellis Air Force Base is preparing to court martial an officer on charges related to sexual assault.  

The Air Force major stationed at Nellis was scheduled for a court martial Monday in a sexual assault case, but the proceedings have been postponed indefinitely.

The case is among the latest in a worldwide explosion of sexual assault cases involving members of the U.S. military.

The secretary of defense has called for massive reforms in how the military handles sexual crimes, and the commander of Nellis recently announced a no-tolerance policy and greater transparency.

In another case, a scandalous incident involving a master sergeant at Nellis is putting the new policy to the test.

Base personnel denied knowing anything about the charges.