Our network

Lawsuit accuses local Taekwondo coach of sexual assault |

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Lawsuit accuses local Taekwondo coach of sexual assault

An Olympic Taekwondo coach with ties to the Las Vegas valley is at the center of the latest sexual assault allegations plaguing the U.S. Olympic Committee.

Jean Lopez is an instructor at a North Las Vegas training center on Simmons Street and Ann Road. He and his brother, Steven Lopez, are named in a class action lawsuit alleging decades of sexual abuse against at least four athletes.

Steven is also a Taekwondo Olympian.

Jean Lopez is the president of Legacy Taekwondo, the training center.

Online reviews describe him as a role model to children but court documents paint a different picture, describing him as a sexual predator who used his position as an Olympic coach to take advantage of young athletes.

Jean Lopez is all smiles posing for pictures with his young Taekwondo apprentices -- possibly training the next generation of Olympian athletes. He even said so during a previous interview with 8 News NOW.

"There's a lot of talent. This is the fight capital of the world."

The Olympic coach and his brother, Steven Lopez, are accused of raping and sexually assaulting at least four Olympian female athletes, one who was underage at the time of the alleged abuse.

Steven is a two-time gold medalist who lives in Texas.

The disturbing accusations are detailed in an almost 130-page complaint filed against the brothers in a federal court in Colorado.

The civil class action lawsuit also names the U.S. Olympic Committee and USA Taekwondo.

"In this case, if you want to get on the U.S. Taekwondo team, you had to satisfy Jean and Steven Lopez, both athletically and sexually," said Jon Little, plaintiffs' attorney.

He is among a team of attorneys representing the four victims in this case and says the USOC did nothing to protect them.

The allegations span from as early as 1996 to recent years.

"I would not trust my kid in any USOC associaed sport," Little said.

The USOC says, "The launch of the U.S. Center for Safesport, along with a number of additional significant actions we are taking, will insure that our athletes are better protected from these heinous acts."

In fact, it was the same group that banned Jean Lopez from all USOC events last month after an investigation revealead violations for sexual misconduct and sexual misconduct involving a minor. His brother was also temporarily suspended on Monday.

"That was quite honestly unexpected, but it needs to happen," Little said.

Legacy Taekwondo is open for business, although it's unclear if Jean Lopez is inside. The brothers have never been criminally prosecuted for the allegations. They could not be reached for comment.