At-Risk Schools Partner with Station Casinos | Education & Schools
School principals from 10 at-risk schools learned Friday they would be getting money from Station Casinos.
For the 13th year in a row, the company is partnering with the schools to provide them $5,000 each, to pay for programs to meet education goals.
The Smart Start school partnership was announced during a special breakfast at Green Valley Ranch Resort. The company also announced that its employees had gathered backpacks, crayons, pencils and other school supplies to give to their designated school.
"When they come to our school, they just don't bring the stuff. They with them energy and love and support. So to me, they're giving these kids hope, because they now know that someone else loves them and cares for them and values them enough to stay in school and get an education," Whitney Elementary School Principal Sherrie Gahn said.
- Rex Bell Elementary School - partner: Palace Station
- Laura Dearing Elementary School - partner: Boulder Station
- Ollie Detwiler Elementary School - partner: Fiesta Rancho)
- P.A. Diskin Elementary School - partner: Red Rock Casino, Resort and Spa
- H.P. Fitzgerald Elementary School - partner: Santa Fe Station
- Howard E. Hollingsworth Elementary School - partner: Sunset Station
- C.T. Sewell Elementary School - partner: Fiesta Henderson
- C.P. Squires Elementary School - partner: Texas Station
- Whitney Elementary School - partners: Station Casinos, Wildfire Gaming
- Robert L. Taylor Elementary School - partner: Green Valley Ranch Resort
The partnership goes beyond money and school supplies. Volunteers from the Station Casinos properties also help with homework, provide food for teacher appreciation days and host etiquette dinners to teach the children property table manners.